WHR Project Site - Updates and Changes
This page shows just what has been updated and when. Changes
over about a month from the latest update are shown.
to Home Page
The Quick Version
- Significant Current Highlights
The Full Version - All Recent Site Updates
- 23rd May 2013 - Rest of the World Gang report
- 21st May 2013 - Tuesdy
Gang South at Beddgelert. More pictures of Rail Ale 2013
- 20th May 2013 - Team
Wylfa is 10 years
old this month and Clive Briscoe, its coordinator, has provided a
suitable '10th birthday' report. This now resides on its own page.
Included are a few tweaks to other associated pages, including a few
- 19th May 2013 - Signal box erected
at Pen y Mount. A record breaking Rail
- 14th May 2013 -
Ballasting at Harbour
- 9th May 2013 - Vintage train and other
unusual workings on WHR during Steam 150 event. Preparations
for Rail Ale festival - arrival of Peckett
- 1st May 2013 - Top of
old water tower at Beddgelert
- 30th April 2013 -
box roof now felted
- 23rd April 2013 - Signal box
roof trusses erected
- 19th April 2013 - More reports
on the flurry of of tracklaying on the Cob and of progress with the
- 16th April 2013 -
Tracklaying on the Cob
and work on signal box/relay room
- 10th April 2013 -
Ballast wall repairs at Tro Ffridd
- 6th April 2013 - More
work on fences at Dinas
- 2nd April 2013 - Snowy
scenes accompanying the start of the 2013 spring season at Beddgelert. Pictures of
tamping points at Beddgelert
- 31st March 2013 - Fence
erection at Dinas,
litter picking at Caernarfon,
platform extension complete at Tryfan
Junction, snow clearance, ballast packing and securing seats
- 21st March
2013 - Slewing the curve at Brynyfelin.
Ballasting 6 Road at Harbour station
- 17th March 2013 -
Further work on the Relay
Room and Signal Box
- 11th March 2013 - New
points delivered to Harbour
station. Ticket office fitted out, and replica
water tank ready at Beddgelert.
Junction platform extension
- 8th March 2013 -
Further details of the handover of the SA Brake Van added. An account
compiled of the visit to Paddington of Princess
- 7th March 2013 - Signal
posts delivered for Harbour station.
Refitting of SA Brake Van
completed. Tuesday Gang have reinstated 6 Road at Harbour station
- 23rd February 2013 -
Installing replacement points at Harbour station
- 20th February 2013 -
Announcement of unveiling
ceremony for Princess at Paddington
- 19th February 2013 - Tuesday Gang
and the FRS team were renewing sleepers on the Cob. The latest video
recording the Cob widening works is published. Latest views
of Garratts in the Dinas loco
- 12th February 2013 - Tuesday Gang
painting the signal box steelwork, kerb edging for new
platform in place
- 9th Febraury 2013 -
First train of season past Cob
- 6th February 2013 -
Ballasting the points on the Cob
- 5th February 2013 -
Tuesday Gang were changing sleepers on the Cob
- 4th February 2013
- Pictures of more new points
for Harbour station. Relay room
electrics fitted over weekend
- 2nd February 2013 - Cob
widening The interior of the relay room is complete.
The rail joints have been welded adjacent to the points.
- 31st January 2013 -
widening - The framework of the signal box is in place,
cladding is being applied to the relay room.
- 29th January 2013 -
Tuesday Gang were working on the interior of the relay room while
the roof was being slated outside
- 27th January 2013 -
widening - the track has been packed, a
signal base has been cast and latest view of relay room. Work has
started on Carriage No 2046.
and Semi-open No
2021 has been refurbished. Additional track working party for
- 26th January 2013 -
widening - The King point was being ballasted and further
rails positioned to start the FR platform road
- 24th January 2013 -
Added a link to the video
of the recent phase of the project; the main line is almost complete
again. The railway has taken deliuvery of six more B Wagons
- 22nd January 2013 -
Trackwork and roofing of the relay room is proceeding on the Cob
- 20th January 2013 -
Cob the king point and WHR loop point have been postioned.
Work has started on slating the relay room.
- 17th January 2013 - The
WHR loop point and the king point were delivered to the Cob
- 16th January 2013 -
More guttering work on station
shelters. Track realignemnt work at Tro Ffridd
- 15th January 2013 -
Semi open carriage 2021
has emerged from Boston Lodge with its central section partly enclosed.
Gang at Caernarfon station
- 14th January 2013 - Cob widening
- the wave wall has gone and markers for the edge of the new
platform have been laid out.
- 13th January 2013 -
Latest pictures of works on Cob widening
- 12th January 2013 -
Plan for signal box at Pen y Mount
- 10th January 2013 -
Report of progress with works on the Cob.
Pictures of the completed platform canopy at Caernarfon
- 8th January 2013 - The
next phase of work is underway on the Cob
- 30th December 2012 -
Report of clearance work at Tryfan
- 29th December 2012 - Gelert undertook a test run
with a train to Beddgelert. Further pictures of vegetation
clearance at Tryfan
- 27th December 2012 -
The end of year working party started vegetation clearance at
- 14th December 2014 -
Work is under way on the Signal box and Relay Room at Harbour station
- 9th December 2012 -
Rest of the World Gang working on drains at Castell Cidwm
- 27th November 2012 -
Repair of washout south of Dinas. See Dinas to Waunfawr
- 26th November 2012-
Further information added for Trackwork
volunteers in 2013
- 24th November 2012 -
Full report added of Rest of the World Gang's November working week.
Tuesday Gang were working on fire prevention in Summit Cutting.
Gang South were at various locations. Latest pictures of Caernarfon station
platform canopy. The wave wall at Harbour station
- 20th November 2012 -
Boiler inspection time for No.138
and an overhaul has started on No.87.
- 19th November 2012 -
Wave wall completed at Harbour station.
Pictures of progress with the Caernarfon
station canopy. Volunteer Trackwork Gangs Programme for 2013 added.
Report on weekend activities of the North
Wales/Black Hand Gang
- 17th November 2012 -
Work is progressing with the new wave wall at Harbour station
- 16th November 2012 -
Work has started on the Caernarfon
- 15th Nobember 2012 - An
announcement is made calling all past photographic contributors to this
website. Please see this
page. A link as been added from the parent page for all the
phases of construction.
- 13th November 2012 - Tuesday Gang South
were greasing fishplates
- 11th November 2012 - Report
added of North Wales/Black Hand Gang working at Beddgelert and Bryn y
- 9th November 2012 - Tuesday Gang
undertook minor crossing repairs at Ty'n y Coed and elsewhere.
Work is now underway on demolishing the wave wall on the widened Cob
and building its replacement.
- 28th October 2012 -
Comprehensive update regarding NG/G16
№138 following the completion of its overhaul and return to
steam on a railtour on the 22nd October.
- 16th October 2012 - The
first concrete is poured for the footings of the new wave wall at Harbour station.
Gang continue ditching
- 14th October 2012 -
Updates on track work by Rest of the World Gang at Aspinalls, 138
trials and Tuesday
- 11th October 2012 -
Latest updates include: specials in tribute to Alan Pegler, beer delivery by
rail, start of work on the new wave wall on the Cob,
ditching at Plas
coal-fired and in steam, new running-in board at Snowdon Ranger
- 26th September 2012 -
Recent updates include the Team
Wylfa special, Tuesday Gang at Coed Helen,
the North Wales/Black Hand Gang at Beddgelert
and the site
office at Harbour
- 19th September 2012 -
Work is restarting on the Harbour
station remodelling. Details of the proposed phasing of the
- 17th September 2012 - Quarrypower report added
- 11th September 2012 -
Tuesday Gang at Coed Helen
- 10th September 2012 -
North Wales/Black Hand Gang working at Dinas
to prepare for Quarrypower
this coming weekend.
- 4th September 2012 -
Tuesday Gang were working at Coed Helen
- 31st August 2012 -
Tuesday Gang South have erected a new noticeboard at Beddgelert
- 28th August 2012 -
Tuesday Gang were working on the track at Pont Croesor
- 27th August 2012 -
Recent updates include: work at Beddgelert
on the siding and water tank base; work at Dinas
prior to installation of new diesel tank; correcting dip in track at Pont Croesor
and the launch of the book "Welsh
- 20th August 2012 - Rest
of the World Gang cutting back vegetation at Caernarfon
- 17th August 2012 - Team Wylfa
report on work with 134
- 12th August 2012 -
Black Hand Gang preparing base for new fuel tank at Dinas
- 7th August 2012 - Long
awaited update to the NGG16 No.138
page covering its current overhaul. Photo's from Laurence Armstrong and
Clive Briscoe. Tuesday Gang South report
- 3rd August 2012 - New noticeboard
at Forest Campsite
- 2nd August 2012 -
Report of Team
Wylfa's work on 134
- 29th July 2012 - Book Sale planned at
- 28th July 2012 -
Maps of the WHR now transferred to the CRhE website
- 24th July 2012 -
Further pictures of track extension in Dinas loco
shed. Tuesday Gang continued with T-bolt maintenance.
- 22nd July 2012 - Report
of the Welsh Highland Heritage special
to Hafod y Llyn
- 17th July 2012 - The
Welsh Highland Heritage Railway to run a special
to Hafod y Llyn
- 15th July 2012 - North
Wales/Black Hand Gang worked on laying rails in Dinas loco
shed and were continuing with realignment of the siding at Beddgelert
- 11th July 2012 - Report
Gang South and Tuesday Gang
- 9th July 2012 - Further
details of Quarrypower
2012 have been published. Tuesday Gang
have been ditch clearing
- 4th July 2012 - An
account of the new MicroETS system
- 2nd July 2012 - Rails
laid in Dinas
loco shed extension
- 24th June 2012 - Latest
progress at Tryfan
- 23rd June 2012 - Latest
pictures of Dinas
loco shed extension
- 21st June 2012 - Team Wylfa
were in action. David Payling's
book on the WHR locos is now available.
- 20th June 2012 -
Tuesday Gang South were in action at Pont Croesor
- 19th June 2012 - A few
more details of the Micro-ETS
- 17th June
2012 - The first Micro-ETS
machines have been installed and are under test
- 11th June 2012 - Latest
pictures of progress with loco shed extension at Dinas
- 8th June 2012 - Grant
awarded for completion of Bryngwyn
footpath and bridge restoration
- 6th June 2012 -
Multiple updates - apologies to our regular visitors for the recent
updates owing to holidays and loss of
internet connection. The Rail
Ale festival was deemed a great success. Tuesday Gang have
been servicing T-bolts near Waunfawr,
Tuesday Gang South were carrying on with improvements at Pont Croesor
and Tuesday Gang cleared the culvert at Caeau Gwynion.
siding is being realigned. Plans are well advanced for "Quarrypower" which is the
theme for this year's Superpower weekend
- 8th May 2012 -
Itinerary announced for Hugh Napier
launch on 11th May. Tuesday Gang were checking T-bolts
- 7th May 2012 - North Wales/Black Hand Gang were cleaning up
before the Rail Ale festival
- 2nd May 2012 - North Wales/Black Hand Gang had an evening
working party between Tryfan
Junction and Waunfawr. Further fence work by Tuesday Gang at Pont Croesor
- 26th April 2012 - Full report added of the North
Wales/Black Hand Gang's weekend activity at Dinas
- 25th April 2012 - King Point
for Harbour station arrives at Minffordd. Simplex on WHR
metals. Tuesday Gang have been fencing at Pont Croesor.
Black Hand Gang were fencing and resurfacing at Dinas
- 17th April 2012 - Tuesday Gang were renewing a foot
crossing at Dinas
- 16th April 2012 - Rest of the
World Gang were working on the track at Hafod y Llyn
- 13th April 2012 - Notice added about changes to Team Wylfa sessions
- 9th April 2012 - North Wales/Black Hand Gang were
fencing at Dinas
- 5th April 2012 - Tuesday Gang continued with fencing work
- 2nd April 2012 - Work has started to relay Road 6 at Harbour Station
- 30th March 2012 - Report of Rest of the
World Gang's working week added
- 28th March 2012 - Tuesday Gang have been fencing in Porthmadog
and tightening T-bolts between Caernarfon
- 26th March 2012 - Reports from Tuesday Gang
South and North
Wales/Black Hand Gang
- 20th March 2012 - Obituaries
to Alan Pegler added. The booking office at Pont Croesor
has moved. Tuesday Gang activities at Rhyd Ddu
- 17th March 2012 - Press statement on completion of first
phase of Cob
- 13th March 2012 - The last delivery of armour stone was
made to the
Cob. The final video
stills have been added. Tuesday Gang were greasing
Tuesday Gang South were doing fencing work in Porthmadog.
The North Wales/Black Hand Gang undertook a variety of tasks at Dinas over
- 6th March 2012 - Tueday Gang North
divisions were in action. Video
stills of Cob widening updated
- 4th March 2012 - The latest batch of video
stills shows the Cob widening nearing completion
- 28th February 2012 - The king point
for Harbour Station is taking shape. Tuesday Gang have been greasing
fishplates and dealing with fencing issues.
The North Wales/Black Hang Gang were levelling the track at Pont Croesor
- 25th February 2012 - Pictures added of last stages
- 23rd February 2012 - Cob widening
is nearing the end of phase1
- 22nd February 2012 - Added pictures of progress with loco
shed and coaling road at Dinas.
Tuesday Gang South activities at Beddgelert
- 21st February 2012 - Added pictures of John Sreeves
receiving ICE award.
Report of Tuesday
Gang's activity, mainly at Beddgelert.
- 20th February 2012 - Report of a very successful collaboration of WHR with CAIS
in a drug user rehabilitation project. Rest of the World
Gang were greasing fishplates.
- 18th February 2012 - Latest batch of video
stills uploaded showing day by day progress with
the Cob widening
- 15th February 2012 - Report of maintenance work by Tuesday Gang
- 12th February 2012 - Services resumed yesterday
for the half term week.
The Black Hand Gang were working on the new coaling facility at Dinas.
More pictures of progress with the Cob widening and a set of
points being motorised at Harbour station
- 10th February 2012 - The Historic
Bridge & Infrastructure Award of the Institution of
Civil Engineers was accepted by John Sreeves on behalf of the railway.
An update added on the Bryngwyn footpath
. The first passenger stock since the start of the year
arrives at Harbour
- 9th February 2012 - The latest batch of video
stills illustrates progress with the Cob widening,
with a link added to John Wooden's latest video
of the works
- 8th February 2012 - Update on Cob widening.
- 7th February 2012 - Tuesday Gang worked with S&T
Department to install a new telephone at Caernarfon
and completed several
tasks along the line
- 5th February 2012 - Tuesday Gang
put in an extra day's work last Friday and the Black Hand Gang
were in action the previous weekend. Dates for the 2012 Track Gangs added. About
75% of the stone has now been delivered for the Cob widening
- 1st Febraury 2012 - Reports on work by Tuesday
and an account of the works train's visit to WHHR including
new signals at Cae
- 29th January 2012 - An FR train visits the WHHR
- 27th January 2012 - More pictures and a video of Cob widening
added, and latest video
stills. Information added on Rail
Ale/Cwrw ar y Cledrau 2012
- 24th January 2012 - Rest of the World Gang were regapping
rails in the Nantmor
area. Tuesday Gang demolished a wall at Dinas.
Further news of progress with Cob widening
with a series of video
stills to give an overview of daily progress
- 20th January 2012 - Latest pictures of Cob widening
- 17th January 2012 - Further pictures added of
to the Cob and
work at Gwâl
- 16th January 2012 - Black Hand Gang were working on the
track at Gwâl y
Dwrgi over the weekend
- 14th January 2012 - The initial deliveries of stone to widen the Cob were
- 12th January 2012 - The Cob widening
- 11th January 2012 - Rock deliveries to widen the Cob have
commenced. Refurbishment work by Tuesday Gang for Meillionen
halt, and fencing works at Hafod
- 5th January 2012 - The contractors are on site at Harbour
Station with a view to starting the works to widen the Cob
- 3rd January 2012 - Contract awarded for widening of
the Cob - press release.
Fencing work at Pont
- 1st January 2012 - Details of the Snowdonian
2012 added - traverse the entire WHR/FfR in one day and raise
funds for Phase 5.
- 31st December 2011 - Goods shed doors painted at Dinas
- 29th December 2011 - Timetables
have been published - all trains will run through to Porthmadog this
year. Improvements being made to refuelling facilities at Dinas
- 21st December 2011 - Further fencing work near Portreuddyn
by Tuesday Gang
- 20th December 2011 - More information on Lyd's initial workings using coal
firing. Report of North Wales Black
Hand Gang working at Aspinall's
- 18th December 2011 - Tryfan Junction
building now has a roof and chimney. Tuesday gang have been maintaining
running-in boards and noticeboards at Meillionen
and Nantmor. Lyd is now coal fired.
- 11th December 2011 - The Ffestiniog/Welsh Highland Railway
has been awarded the Heritage
Alliance Hero Award 2011 for the reconstruction of
the WHR. Kilometre markers
have been installed on phase 4. Tuesday Gang have been repairing fences
and between the overbridges near Portreuddyn
while the North Wales/Black Hand gang have been working on the track
- 26th November 2011 - Tuesday gang were at work repairing
the running-in board at Meillionen.
A report of Gertrude's
journeys from Gelert's Farm across the Cob and back again.
- 20th November 2011 - Updates for works at Tryfan Junction
station, work on
ballast walls between
Plas-y-nant and Rhyd Ddu and the latest
pictures from the Harbour
- 9th November 2011 - Reports from North Wales Black Hand
Gang and Tuesday
- 4th November 2011 - Update added from Andy Savage on the Phase 5 appeal
- 1st November 2011 - Tuesday Gang were at work at Dinas
- 25th October 2011 - Report of North Wales Black
Hand Gang working at Hafod
- 24th October 2011 - The railway receives two more awards.
More details and pictures of works at Harbour station
to widen the Cob .
- 22nd October 2011 - More pictures added of the
WHR trains during the Vintage
- 21st October 2011 - More detail and pictures about work at Cae Pawb
- 20th October 2011 - Work undertaken at Cae Pawb to
create a staff access route. Preparatory works for widening
the Cob were started at Harbour
- 17th October 2011 - Updates on activity at the former Betws Garmon
station and Rhyd
Ddu, at Carnarfon
and the Dinas
loco shed, also a mention of WHR movements during the FR Vintage weekend
- 3rd October 2011 - Notice added of K1 working party October 15/16
- 29th September 2011 - Tuesday Gang South were painting at Nantmor
- 28th September 2011 - Updates on work by the Tuesday Gang
at Betws Garmon,
the North Wales/Black Hand Gang at Ffridd Isaf and
the Rest of the World Gang at Hafod y Llyn.
(Apologies for continuing delays to updates owing to non-availability
of the authors)
- 15th September 2011 -A link added to John Wooden's video of
- 14th September 2011 - Further photos added to
- 13th September 2011 Result of the "King of the
Hill" trial at Superpower
2011 added, together with more photographs of the event
- 12th September 2011 Lyd
appeared in a new livery at the Superpower event. First
reports and photographs of Superpower
- 6th September 2011 Tuesday Gang were repairing fencing
between Castell Cidwm and Snowdon Ranger again
- 4th September 2011 A report on the recent
completion of the lineside clearance train by the East
Anglian Group of the WHRS is on the the Society's main website
- 31st August 2011. Reports of work at Castell Cidwm
by Tuesday Gang and Rhyd
Ddu by the North Wales/Black Hand Gang
- 24th August 2011. Report of the Rest of the World
Gang's activities on the approach to Rhyd Ddu from
Caernarfon. Thanks to Steve Broomfield and Simon Melhuish for the
- 17th August 2011. Several updates: An update on
plans for Superpower 2011,
Black Hand Gang working at Dinas,
Tuesday Gang between Dinas
and Waunfawr, also at Castell Cidwm
- 8th August 2011 - Several updates (somewhat delayed by
holidays) covering work at Dinas
the Black Hand Gang and Tuesday Gang, an
important letter and questionnnaire from Alan Norton
regarding "Our Heritage Journey", the bid for Heritage
Lottery funding, and the latest news of Chaloner's movements.
- 27th July 2011 - Rest of the World Gang have been clearing
vegetation near Glan
yr Afon and Canal Curve
with 143 back in service and 87 in evidence.
- 26th July 2011 - Conversion of Bron Hebog to
ungated crossing completed by Tuesday Gang. Track maintenance
crossing by Rest of the World Gang.
- 24th July 2011 - Added a link to the video "Greasers' Express
2011" by John Wooden. Updated some links on the WHR links and Local links pages
- 19th July 2011 - Tuesday Gang were working on the
conversion of the gated crossing at Cwm Cloch Uchaf
(Bron Hebog) to an open crossing. Details of Chaloner's return announced
- 17th July 2011 - Added report of Black Hand Gang working at
Hafod y Llyn
over the weekend and a note of a very
long train at Beddgelert
- 14th July 2011 - Added an urgent appeal
for assistance with Team Wylfa's carriage oiling sessions. A reminder
added about Super
- 12th July 2011 - Tuesday Gang were at work, weeding Caernarfon station
and preparing for installation of ETS at Beddgelert
- 9th July 2011 - 143
made another test run yesterday prior to entering service
- 5th July 2011 - Report of maintenance activities by the
NWBHG and Tuesday Gang at Tro
Elain and Bontnewydd respectively.
Thanks to Steve Broomfield and Tony Baker. for photos
- 30th June 2011 - Various updates from the last week. Mainly
in the Upkeep and
Improvements section, however there are two items in the Latest News
regarding WHHR test trains last Saturday and details of enhancements to
the summer timetable that now sees more trains running into Porthmadog.
Thanks to Tony Bakes and Steve Broomfield for the photos. Apologies for
the backlog building up as both of us have been away quite a bit
recently, a situation that will continue probably until late August.
Please keep updates coming in - they will be used although perhaps not
quite as promptly as is usual.
- 21st June 2011 - NGG16 No143
began its running-in trials
- 19th June 2011 - Update on progresswith North Wales Gang's
working weekend at Hafod
- 17th June 2011 - North Wales/Black Hand Gang were replacing
points at Hafod y
- 16th June 2011 - Tuesday Gang at work on 14th
June at Coed
Helen and Dinas. The new Service
car 2011 entered service on 9th June. Pictures
added of the work on the siding at Beddgelert.
New single line
tokens have been produced
- 12th June 2011 -
NGG16 No143 is now completed
and was having it's brick arch cured on the 11th June. Photos from
Andrew Thomas/FR. The update also includes some 'in works' photographs
from the end May.
- 8th June 2011 - Reports on activities by
the North Wales Black
Hand Gang weekend of 4th & 5th June and that of the Tuesday
the 7th June, with a photo from Tony Baker. These are in the Caernarfon to Dinas
and Rhyd Ddu to
- 31st May 2011 - Report on work by Tuesday Gang between Dinas and Caernarfon
- 30th May 2011 - Added new pictures of the restored Lamp Room at
Beddgelert, and a note about the official opening of the Bryngwyn footpath
- 28th May 2011 - Report on the new Service Car no 2011
- 25th May 2011 - Added report on Rail Ale 2011, and an update
on the Tuesday Gang's activities near Coed Helen
- 18th May 2011 - Revamped the Get
Involved section as it was much in
need of bringing up to date. This includes a potted history of Team
Wylfa and this is where you'll find their activities reported.
- 12th May 2011 - Added a page for Rail Ale 2011 linked from
the Special Events page
- 11th May 2011 - The Tuesday Gang's report of work at Llyn Bach and
Photos from Tony Baker and Steve Broomfield. Also a remi.nder of Rail Ale on the Event page
- 9th May 2011 - Black Hand Gang have extended the
new siding at Dinas
North Yard. Updates
on the Bryngwyn footpath and Waunfawr station buildings.
- 3rd May 2011 - Tuesday Gang were active at Tro Elain
- 2nd May 2011 - Further pictures of the weekend's work at Dinas loco
- 1st May 2011 - Rest of the World Gang working on drainage
loco shed and preparing the way to load the Statfold Mallet
for its homeward journey
- 27th April 2011 - Tuesday Gang activity at Tro Elain.
A new page created for the Phase
5 project with latest information on progress.
- 21st April 2011 - Pictures of the official opening added.
- 20th April 2011 - First reports of the official opening by Pete
Waterman added. Two updates to Tuesday Gang activity at Cwm Bychan
and Tro Elain
- 11th April 2011 - a largish update - details and photos of
the progress with the new
Dinas sidings. Thanks the Steve Broomfield for the pictures.
A couple of photos of the new concrete preparation facilities outside
the Dinas loco
shed and finally a new page created for the visiting Mallet (as well as in Latest News) with
some photos courtesy of Andrew Thomas/FR.
- 7th April 2011 - Further photos of the Snowdonian added to Latest News page,
courtesy of Richard Watson
- 6th April 2011 - More photos of the Snowdonian added to Latest News page,
courtesy of Richard Watson, and a note about the latest Tuesday Gang activity
- 3rd April 2011 - Photos by Tony Baker of
Snowdonian special, double-headed by double Fairlies on the Latest News page
- 30th March 2011 - More photos, this time from Steve
of the Tuesday Gang activities on the Beddgelert to Pont
- 29th March 2011 - An update on the progress with the new
at Dinas on the Caernarfon
to Dinas maintenance page. Tuesday Gang report with photos
Tony Baker on the Beddgelert
to Pont Croesor page.
- 26th March 2011 - More details of progress on the
and on the By-pass
Photos again from Alasdair Stewart and Steve Broomfield.
- 23rd March 2011 - This week the Tuesday Gang cleared
from around T4's southern portal. See the Beddgelert to Pont
maintenance page Photos from Steve Broomfield.
- 21st March 2011 - New display boards errected at stations
the railway and work starts on the track renewal outside the Dinas loco
shed. Thanks to Steve Broomfield and Simon Melhuish for the
- 16th March 2011 - The bridge decking is being fitted to the
By-pass bridge week. Details of progress during the first day are on
the Pont Croesor
Maintenance page together with photographs from
- 15th March 2011 - A delayed write-up of the Tuesday Gang's
activities at Pont
last week together with details on the Caernarfon to Dinas
page about the insertion of a new point into the fuel road at Dinas
this last weekend. Pictures provided by Tony Baker, Pete Roughley and
Steve Broomfield. A brief update and some pictures about the status of 143.
- 1st March 2011 - Report of the Tuesday Gang installing
Anti-trespass grids at Rhyd
and a photo of Tuesday's Photo Charter in Latest
Photos from Steve Broomfield and Alasdair Stewart. Also added Charlie
Hulmes comprehensive North Wales Coast Railway website to the rail related inks
- 24th February 2011 - Tuesday Gang report and photos of
activities on the 22nd Feb - added to the Rhyd Ddu to Beddgelert
maintenance page. Thanks to Steve Broomfield for the Photos..
- 23rd February 2011 - Added two photographs from Andrew
of the first public trains. See the Latest
- 21st February 2011 - Added some (belated) pictures of the
long train to Hafod y Llyn on Saturday 12th February. Also some
pictures of today's Porthmadog to Caernarfon service train at
Dinas. All pictures from Alasdair Stewart. Finally an update about the
Snowdonian Special on the 2nd April 2011. All updates on the Latest News page.
- 19th February 2011 - First public trains ran today on the
line between Caernarfon and Porthmadog - see News
- 17th February 2011 - added a video by John Wooden of
how the crossing keeper's hut at Cae Pawb was
delivered, with good views of the route to Pont Croesor as well
- 15th February 2011 - The Tuesday Gang erect a temporary
crossing keeper's hut at Cae
- 14th February 2011 - Black Hand Gang at work in the Aberglaslyn pass
- 9th February 2011 - progress with the concrete pillars for
the Porthmadog bypass
- 7th February 2011 - update on staggering the rail gaps at Ffridd Isaf
- 6th February 2011 - the Rest of the World
Gand were staggering rail gaps at Ffridd Isaf
- 1st February 2011 - Report on progress with Bryngwyn footpath
by Jim Comerford
- 30th January 2011 - the Black Hand Gang was "gapping" on Nantmor bank
- 26th January 2011 - added report on Tuesday Gang clearing
lineside brash near Cae
Moel and the latest picture of the new bypass bridge
by Steve Broomfield
- 21st January 2011 - Photographs (from Andrew Thomas/FR) of
on the winter trains out of Harbour Station and onto the WHR. See Latest News.
- 18th January 2011 - included some backdated pictures from
the 10th January courtesy of Alasdair Stewart. These show progress at Pen y Mount
of the by-pass bridge over the line..
- 17th January 2011 - added details of the London Area Group
special "Eryri Venturer" on 25th March 2011 - see Latest News. Information about
Bill's overhaul on the Diesels
page and a report of the North Wales Track Gangs work at Nantmor. With
thanks to Ian Brookes at LOROL and Steve Broomfield respectively.
- 10th January 2011 - Added two more photographs
from the sleeper relaying exercise at Cae'r Afon
Sunday. Thanks to Simon Melhuish for the photographs.
- 9th January 2011 - First public train out of Porthmadog and
onto the WHR in the Latest
News page. Photos from Andrew Thomas/FR. Also details of the long working weekend
with the Rest of the World Gang. One photo from Steve Broomfield.
- 5th January 2011 - Photos from Steve Broomfield of the
Tuesday Gang's activities on the 'barrow' crossing at Pont Croesor.
- 4th January 2011 - a collection of items from the Christmas
to New Year period. Extending the bay platform road at Dinas -
Photo credit to Simon Melhuish. The repainting of Lyd
into BR mixed traffic livery - Photo credits to Andrew Thomas/FR and
Glenn Williams/FR. Details of a special train to run on 2nd April 2011
Port' to Blaneau Ffestiniog to Caernarfon and bact to Port'. More
details on the Latest News
page and on the Phase
website. And finally an
update to the homepage text to represent the new status of the railway.
- 15th December 2010 - Added a link to a video of
Bridge test run on 12th December
- 14th December 2010 - Tuesday Gang were at work on the
footpath crossing south of Pen y Mount, LC 58.36
- 13th December 2010 - Details of the "Phase 5" appeal added
to Latest News. Pictures
added of a night time crossing inspection yesterday on Britannia Bridge
by Andrew Thomas.
- 9th December 2010 - Pictures of stock movement with Castell
Caernarfon and Vale of Ffestiniog together at Harbour station -
see Latest News
- 8th December 2010 - Dates for 2011 Track work parties added
to Volunteer Projects
- 7th December 2010 - Tuesday Gang were packing the track
- 1st December 2010 - More pictures of the new signalling
and installations at Harbour
and a further view of the new platform at Pont Croesor
- 30th November 2010 - Tueday Gang were at work on the final
foot crossing near Pen
y Mount - pictures by Tony Baker
- 29th November 2010 - Work is under way to modify
the signallng system at Harbour
Station to accommodate the WHR services - pictures by Andrew
Thomas. More pictures of work at Rhyd Ddu. An
announcement about the range of locomotiives
expected to be in action on the railway in 2011 in Latest News
- 28th November 2010 - ROTW Gang at work yesterday in the
snow at Rhyd Ddu
- 24th November 2010 - New WHR service vehicle announced -
The Tuesday gang have been working on a new foot crossing at Pont Croesor
- 20th November 2010 - The North Wales Black Hand Gang were
assembling a new point in Dinas
Yard. Thanks to Steve Broomfield for the
- 18th November 2010 - The Tuesday Gang were working on the Llyn Bach
foot crossing on 16th November. Thanks to Steve Broomfield for the
- 15th November 2010 - Work at Cemetery Crossing installing a
ballast retaining wall added to the Beddgelert to Pont
Croesor Upkeep and Improvements page. Thanks to Steve
Broomfield and Simon Melhuish for the photographs.
- 10th November 2010 - With the 'closure' of Phase 4 as
the Sponsors' weekend, and with the approval to run through trains from
Caernarfon the Harbour Station in Porthmadog, the reconstruction of the
line could really be described as complete. Whilst that statement
should not detract from the huge amount of work still needed to tidy up
and do improvements, there is a need to alter the emphasis of the
reporting on this site. This was one aspect that Ben always had in his
mind before his sad death. On the Cross
page you will find what is likely to be one of the last reports of
Phase 4 related construction work. As much of the work to be
reported will be associated with the now operating railway a new
section has been created called Upkeep
and Improvements that we hope will be descriptive enough for
the type of work to be expected.
This section has been populated with some of the work previously
reported elsewhere (that at the time we thought was slightly out of
place) as well as some previously unreported work (on this site) of
lineside clearance that took place back in October this year. It is
likely that there is still some other readjustments and tidying up to
be dealt with and these will be completed in the near future.
- 4th November 2010 - Added more pictures to the News section of the weekend's
trains. Thanks to Clive Briscoe, Alasdair Stewart and Keith Holland
- 30th October 2010 - The first trains run from Caernarfon to
Porthmadog - reports in News.
Also news of the Platelayers Special from Porthmadog the following day.
- 15th October 2010 - News
of Her Majesty's Railway Inspector's visit and news of first public trains
and of the Platelayers' Special. Photos from Andrew Thomas/FR
- 13th October 2010 - Removal of the beer store at Harbour Station and
pulling cables through for the train signals again on the same
page but repeated on CTL
page as technically it applies to both. Photos from Andrew Thomas/FR
- October 8th 2010 - Added a (belated) report of the Tuesday
Gang's activities laying cable ducting on the approach to Pont Croesor
Thanks to Steve Broomfield for the picture. The Tuesday Gang were also
active elsewhere and we hope to report that shortly following a tidy up
of some pages.
- September 30th 2010 - The Britannia
lights are now operational and Palmerston hauled the inaugural
train. Updated information about track gangs for the remainder of 2010
from Paul Bradshaw is on the Volunteer
projects page . The dearth of recent updates has
simply reflected a lack of incoming information.
- September 27th 2010 - Updates added of work on the Traeth to Cambrian
Crossing, the Cross Town Link
and Waunfawr shelters.
More pictures added to Superpower
- September 20th 2010 - Some more pictures of Superpower and of Lyd's
move to the WHR . Also a
couple of photographs of the Britannia Bridge flangeways being cleared
for the last time - on the CTRL
page. Thanks to Richard Watson, Michael Davies, Nathan
and Peter Balderston who answered the call for more photographs of the
- September 19th 2010 - A few changes.... First is a the
the report covering the opening of Nantmor and Pont Croesor to its own 'special events'
page and the simplification of the same report on the Latest News page.
An update to the Lyd page
covering its transfer to the WHR for Superpower 2010 and of its naming
there. There is now a page covering the Superpower
event itself (and more pictures would be appreciated of this to add to
the page) with a larger report of Lyd's naming. Finally the removal of
the chemical toilet from the South
African Brake Van (Bottom of page). Photo contributions from
Steve Broomfield, Simon Banbury and Chris Parry & Andrew Thomas
both for the FR.
- September 16th 2010 - Work at Britannia
installing the 'Wig-wags'. Andrew Thomas/FR being the provider of the
- September 15th 2010 - The first of some 'catch-up' updates.
Work at Snowdon Street
and on Waunfawr shelters.
Thanks to Ray Cooper and Steve Broomfield for the photographs. A Lyd
and Superpower update to follow asap.
- September 5th 2010 - Ballasting completed north of Cae Pawb
and more pictiures of work at Snowdon
- September 4th 2010 - Rest of the World Gang at work pulling
cables at Pont
Croesor and work in progress in Porthmadog
- August 30th 2010 - Work has started on erecting the station
buildings at Waunfawr
- August 29th 2010 - Latest report from the East Anglian
Group on progress with the lineside clearance train added to the the
Society's website with a link from the East
Anglian Group page
- August 26th 2010 - Latest report from Team Wylfa added
- August 24th 2010 - News of Lyd's
run up to Blaenau Ffestiniog on the evening of the 23rd August. Thanks
to Andrew Thomas/FR for the pictures. Pictures of K1
in service at Rhyd Ddu. RotWG at Porthmadog
jacking and packing tack. With thanks to Simon Melhuish for those two
sets of photos.
- August 23rd 2010 - Added some pictures and an update of the
work on Waunfawr station building to the Dinas
route page and a brief update and two pictures of work at the Council
Depot's crossing in Porthmadog on the 14th August (with thanks to Andy
Keene for the pictures).
- August 16th 2010 - Work by the Society to erect
shelters at Waunfawr station has now started. See the new
under Projects in the Society's website (or here
for the Welsh version)
- August 15th 2010 - Further information on Rest of the World
Gang weekend August 7/8 with a picture of the new
storm culvert under construction
- August 12th 2010 - K1
moves again. Update for
- August 8th 2010 - The Rest of the World Gang were
reconnecting the track in the Traeth to Cambrian
- August 7th 2010 - First pictures of Lyd
in action with a train at Harbour station. Thanks to Andrew
Thomas for the recent pictures of Lyd. More information about
from the FR in addition.
- August 6th 2010 - Updates added to
and Lyd (with
a link to a video clip of Lyd's first run under steam)
- August 5th 2010 - Lyd
moved under its own steam today
- August 4th 2010 - Lyd
is warming up, maybe tomorrow...
- August 3rd 2010 - A good few pictures and a
report about the carriage release road extension at Dinas. A single photographic
update to both the Upnor
Castle and Lyd
sections.Finally some Tamping activity on the Pont Croesor to the
Traeth section and some pictures of the By-pass work at Pen y Mount.
Alasdair Stewart, Steve Broomfield, David Firth and Andrew Thomas/FR
being the photographic contributors on this occasion.
- July 28th 2010 - An additional brief update on the Traeth to Cambrian
and Cross Town Link
pages covering the Rest of the Word Gang's work there on Saturday 26th
July. Added another picture, courtsey of Steve Broomfield, to Sundays
activities at Pont
- July 27th 2010 - The Rest of the Word Gang were packing
track at Pont Croesor
on the 25th July. Thanks to Simon Melhuish for the pictures.
- July 21st 2010 - Added picture of LC116 to the Tuesday Gang
report from yesterday
- with thanks to Steve Broomfield. Also a retrospective update for the
work done South of OB217 during the Rest of the World Gang's weekend on
10th & 11th July. Thanks to Simon Melhuish for those pictures.
Finally a report of the annual Race the Train event from Dinas to
Caernarfon in the News
page and thanks to Alasdair Stewart on this occasion for the photos.
- July 20th 2010 - Update the status on LC116 & LC117
following the Tuesday Gang's work there today.
- July 19th 2010 - Report of the Black Hand Gangs work
clearing ditches at Pitts
Head and at Dinas
where they are starting to extend the carriage release road. With
thanks to Steve Broomfield and David Firth for the photos.
- July 15th 2010 - Started sections on the Beddgelert Station and Nanmor to Dylif River Bridge
pages to cover improvement and maintenance work there.The significance
of this date is not lost on the present 'caretakers' of the WHR Project
website is it was 12 months ago today that Ben Fisher made his last
update to the site.
- July 14th 2010 - A further update the the NWBHG weekend on
the 3rd and 4th July on the Pont
Croesor page. Thanks to David Firth for the pictures. A
textual update to the
Pont Croesor to Traeth Mawr section following the Tuesday
Gang's activities there.
- July 11th 2010 - Updated status of No 138 on the NGG16 page
- July 7th 2010 - An update about
locos this time. Lyd
was rolled out of Boston Lodge to test the motion and Upnor Castle's gearbox
has been reinstalled after overhaul at Boston Lodge.
- July 6th 2010 - Text only update submitted by Quentin
Macdonald describing progress on the signalling works at Cae Pawb (Cambrian Corssing) and
Tuesday Gang update with crossing work on the Pont Croesor to Traeth
Mawr section. With thanks to Tony Baker and to Steve
Broomfield for pictures.
- July 5th 2010 - Two more views of Pont Croesor shelter
together with views of the NWBHG working alongside, all on the Pont Croesor page.
Also a slight re-arrangement of the Cwm
Bychan - Afon Nanmor page concerning Nantmor Halt together
with the addition of a couple of pictures of 138 passing over Nantmor
Crossing and into the Halt.
- July 1st 2010 - Pont
Croesor shelter completed. Thanks to David Firth for the
- June 30th 2010 - Construction of Pont
shelter. Thanks to Steve Broomfield for the picture.
- June 29th 2010 - Report of the Tuesday Gang's activities at
and at LC118 on the
Pont Croesor to Traeth Mawr section.
- June 28th 2010 - Installation of the cabinet for the Pont Croesor South
point. With thanks to Andrew Thomas/FR and Steve Broomfield
for the very detailed pictures.
- June 24th 2010 - Three more pictures are available from the
weekends Black Hand Gang Pont
track work together with more detail of the work. With thanks to David
Firth for the report and pictures. Also added some details about the
removal of the trailing point mechanism from the North end of Hafod y Llyn loop
(towards bottom of page) and its intended use at Pont Croesor, with
thanks to Steve Broomfield.
- June 21st 2010 - Added a further update to the Pont Croesor page
with some pictures - with thanks the Steve Broomfield.
- June 20th 2010 - Added report on the new station buildings
Croesor and recent work on the track there by the Black Hand
- June 17th 2010 - Added pictures
by Tony Baker of Tuesday Gang working on Pont Croesor to Treth Mawr
section 15th June 2010
- June 15th 2010 - Added some more of Andrew Thomas's photos
to the Traeth
Mawr - Cambrian Crossing page from Saturday 12th June.
- June 13th 2010 - brought the Recommended
Reading and Viewing page up to date and indicated when a
particular book or DVD is available through the Society
shop. Details from the Rest of the World Gang's Working Party
on the 12th June 2010 on the Traeth
- June 11th 2010 - update to the Afon
- Pont Croesor
following last weekend's Black Hand Gang working party where they
added ballast shoulder to the track around Ynysfor leval
- June 9th 2010 - added views to the Cross
Link page of
the current status of the track down the side of Llyn Bach.
- June 8th 2010 - added pictures of no.138's first
unassisted trip since overhaul to the 138
page, with thanks to John Peduzzi for the photos, and a
picture of no. 87 at Hendy Crossing on 87's
- June 6th 2010 - added link to Dudley's Photos in WHR related links.
- June 5th 2010 - Announcement that work on the final
Harbour station is proceeding with a view to completion in the autumn;
track work volunteers needed. See Latest
News and Volunteer
- June 4th 2010 - Report and pictures of the new Pont Croesor Halt
- June 3rd 2010 - Report and pictures of the new Nantmor halt
- May 30th 2010 - Pictures of Dinas buffet store
added. See Latest News.
Work on the
track continues south
- May 29th 2010 - Pictures added of 138
being prepared for service
- May 28th 2010 - 138
back in service More pictures of official opening to Pont
Croesor. See Latest News
- May 26th 2010 - Official opening to Pont Croesor.
See Latest News
- May 20th 2010 - Opening to Pont Croesor announced. See Latest News page Brought
Garratt no.138's page up to
date including details of its expected return to service.
- May 13th 2010 - Brought the NGG16
page up to date and added links to the new page about no. 109 to this
and the Locomotives and Rolling
- May12th 2010 - Generated a page for NGG16
currently being restored by Pete Waterman's London & North
Railway Company premises in Crewe. This contains a link to Pete's Blog
posted on the 12th May.
- May 5th 2010 - Corrected and made the RSS feed serviceable
omission from when the site was moved to the CRhE url. Corrected the
Welsh Highland Heritage Group's link in the WHR
4th 2010 - Updated the NGG16 No.87's page with the winter
overhaul and painting in blue. Thanks to Alasdair Stewart and Simon
Melhuish for the use of the photos. Added a YouTube clip there with
thanks to Marcus Ingram.Hopefully this will be the start of more
frequent updates as we start to catch up on backdated material.
- April 5th 2010 - Between August 2009 and March 2010 much
work has been
undertaken on the railway to lift some of the more significant
temporary speed restrictions, cut back the vegetation at key locations,
complete the crossing
at Pont Croesor,
complete the Network Rail crossing known as both Cambrian Crossing and
Cae Pawb Crossing.
The most noteable location re-alignment has been the curves at
Hafod y Llyn Isaf where the poor alignment was the result
of a rock outcrop that needed to be cut back to enable a smoother
curve. This particular section of track was relaid on a number of
occassions before the outcrop was removed.
- March 23rd 2010 - Dr Ben Fisher's WHR Project website is
relaunched as part of the Cymdeithas
Rheilffordd Eryri (The Welsh Highland Railway Society) website. It is
intended that updates will continue as before although there will more
than likely be difficulties associated with not being as close to the
WHR as Ben was. As well as the regular updates it's hoped that we'll
also be able to catch up with what now must be considered as
recent historical updates of the period since Ben last updated the
website. Please allow us a bit of leeway during this period of us
'getting our feet under the desk' as we get into the routine of updates
and clearing the backlog, We will be relying upon Ben's original
contributers for information and photographs and so these can be sent
to the address at the top of the page or to Bob's email as was used for
a short period: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support us in the task of keeping Ben's historical archive up to
date. Many thanks Bob Smith, David Tidy & Laurence Armstrong.
- March 14th 2010 - Updated Middle and South maps with completion of
Pont Croesor loop trackwork
- March 8th 2010 - Update about 2100's
(at bottom of section).
- March 4th 2010 - Updated Middle and South maps with latest Pont
Croesor loop trackwork.
- March 22nd 2010 - A group of three volunteers planted the summit board at Y Copa.
- July 14th 2009 - Updated the Phase 4 Afon Dylif - Pont Croesor
page (weekend work, three pictures at the bottom with thanks to Simon
- July 13th 2009 - Updates to Volunteer
Projects (track working party dates through to November,
NG15). Added a 1998 picture of no. 109 to Latest
News, plus some more info about plans for the loco). Update
at the bottom of the Modern
Carriages page (slip boards, four pictures). Thanks to Peter
Johnson and Norman Bond for contributions to the pictures.
- July 8th 2009 - Update to Diesels
(Castell Caernarfon, including two pictures taken
yesterday with thanks to Alyn Ashworth). Phase 4: Beddgelert Station
(shelter), Cwm Bychan
- Afon Nanmor (Hafod y Llyn platform, two pictures), and Pont Croesor - Traeth
Mawr (weekend tasks at and around Pont Croesor, one picture).
Small update to Volunteer
Projects (NG15 fundraising, added Dafydd Thomas as a
- July 6th 2009 - An exciting update to Latest
News, including three
pictures from 1999 with thanks to Richard Watson.
- June 28th 2009 - Phase 4 updates: Rhyd
- Pont Cae'r Gors
(fire precautions, four pictures), Beddgelert
Station (shelter, fencing, six pictures), and Pont Croesor - Traeth
Mawr (Pont Croesor siding, one picture). Update to Diesels (Castell
Caernarfon, four pictures). Added three new pictures of NG15
no. 133 to Restoring no. 134,
to help illustrate the fundraising story. Thanks to Andrew Thomas and
Peter Balderston for contributions to the pictures.
- June 25th 2009 - Prior notice of the August NG15
fundraising appeal under no. 134,
for the Diary, and a related addition to Volunteer
Phase 4 updates: Beddgelert
Station (additional shelter), the
and Dylif Bridges
(UB196 check rails), and Pont
Croesor - Traeth Mawr page (Pont Croesor siding).
- June 21st 2009 - Update to Modern
Carriages (no. 119, three pictures). Updates to Dates for the Diary and the introductory Phase 4 page
(Easter 2010 is now the target for opening the remaining section).
- June 19th 2009 - Update to Diesels
(Funkey engine and gearbox back in the loco, two pictures), and to Modern Carriages (no. 120, one
picture). Thanks for pictures to Alasdair Stewart/WHR Construction Ltd.
- June 18th 2009 - Catching up after a break in updates: Diesels (Funkey's engine and
gearbox return, two pictures with thanks to Alasdair Stewart/WHR
Construction Ltd), Modern Carriages
(two FR carriages coming north tomorrow), and Wagons
(two pictures of the water wagon at the end of the B Wagons section).
Phase 4 text updates: Afon
Dylif - Pont Croesor (work at Croesor Junction last weekend),
and Traeth Mawr -
Cambrian Crossing (new section about the Porthmadog bypass).